Home Immigration How to Obtain a Temporary Work Visa to Canada

How to Obtain a Temporary Work Visa to Canada

There are two types of temporary work visas you can apply for in Canada: the working holiday visa, which is for people between 18 and 30 years old; and the temporary work visa (TWOV), which is for workers of all ages. Both types of visa allow you to stay in Canada for a certain period of time with the option to renew. You can apply for a TWOV if you are:

  • -A professional in a field where there is a shortage of qualified Canadian workers, such as health care professionals, engineers or IT specialists.
  • -A seasonal agricultural worker who will be employed by an employer in a rural area of Canada.

Canada is a country that welcomes international talent with open arms, but it can be difficult to get a work visa that will allow you to stay in Canada long term. The temporary work permit process is one way of obtaining a Canadian work permit and learning more about how it works, what’s involved and how quickly you can obtain your new job in Canada.

Determine what type of Canadian work visa you need.

Types of Temporary Work Visa:

There are a number of different types of Canadian work visas, each with its own set of requirements and conditions. Your eligibility for these visas will be determined by your job, qualifications and employment history. The most common types of temporary work visa include:

-Work permits (TP)/open work permit (OWP): This type of visa is issued to foreign workers who have been offered a job in Canada by an employer. It allows them to enter the country and begin working immediately or after a specified period of time has passed. Work permits can be single entry or multiple entry, depending on the duration of the employment contract.

-Post-graduation work permit: This type of visa is issued to foreign students who have graduated from a Canadian educational institution and are looking for work in the country. It allows them to stay in Canada for up to three years after graduating, so long as they are working full time or enrolled part time in an academic program at a designated learning institution.

-International Co-op Work Permit: This type of visa is issued to students who are participating in an international co-op program. It allows them to work for up to one year with their Canadian employer while they complete their education or training.

-International Experience Canada (IEC) Working Holiday Visa: This type of visa allows young people from certain countries to come to Canada for up to one year. It does not permit them to work, but they can travel and enjoy the country.

Meet the basic requirements for obtaining a Canadian Temporary Work Permit.

You must meet the basic requirements for obtaining a Canadian Temporary Work Permit.

  • You must be a citizen of a country that has a visa exemption agreement with Canada, such as Australia or New Zealand. If you are not eligible for one of these countries, then you will need to apply for another type of work permit instead (such as an ETA).
  • Your passport must be valid for at least six months after your arrival date in Canada. If it expires before that time period ends, then you’ll need to renew it before continuing with your application process!
  • A medical certificate from your doctor stating his/her opinion about whether there is any risk involved when working abroad during certain times throughout each year;
  • Police records showing no criminal convictions related to previous arrests made anywhere else but Quebec province itself;
  • Criminal background checks conducted by law enforcement agencies based out there too so nothing gets missed out due to lack thereof knowledge about someone’s past experiences abroad…

Produce a clean criminal background check, if required.

If you’re applying for a temporary work visa to Canada, you’ll need to produce a clean criminal background check. This means that:

  • The criminal record check must be valid and in English or French
  • You must produce it from the country where you live (so if your home is in Canada but your job is in another country, then there’s no problem)

Get a job offer from a Canadian employer in your field of work.

The most important part of this step is to get an offer in writing from a Canadian employer that you have applied for. In order to do so, your temporary work visa application must be submitted before the date on which your first day at work will be scheduled.

Your employer may ask for proof that you have applied for a temporary work visa before submitting their offer of employment (i.e., proof that they know about this requirement). It’s also advisable not to wait until after your job offer has been accepted by Immigration Canada before proceeding with filing paperwork because employers can end up terminating their relationships with candidates who delay processing times too long after accepting an offer (this happened frequently during 2014).

Obtain the LMIA number, if necessary.

If you are not a Canadian citizen and plan to work in Canada, you will need to obtain an LMIA number. This number will allow your employer or prospective employers (and subsequently, yourself) access to determine whether or not it is safe for them to hire you.

To apply for an LMIA number:

  • You must have a job offer from a Canadian employer before applying for the temporary foreign worker visa type (e.g., B-1).
  • Your employer cannot sponsor someone else’s application; only they can apply on your behalf through their own entity as well as any other authorized applicants within their organization under federal regulations (see Step 6 below).

Provide proof of medical exam results, if required.

If you’re applying for a temporary work visa, the Canadian government will require you to provide proof of medical exam results. These are often required if your application is based on an employer-sponsored program or can be used as evidence that you have a job offer from an employer.

The medical exam must be less than 12 months old at the time of submission, and it must be conducted by a designated health care practitioner (DHP). The DHP may be another person certified as having met these requirements by their provincial or territorial government; if so, this person may also complete your immigration application form for you.

Your DHP will need to issue documentation showing that he or she has completed an appropriate medical examination on behalf of applicants who are seeking permanent residence status through their own applications and not just those seeking temporary work visas! It’s important that this paperwork come directly from him/herself rather than going through some intermediary agency before making its way into our hands (which could lead us down different paths).

Complete the work permit application form and pay the applicable fee.

The first step of the process is to complete the work permit application form, which can be obtained from any Canadian embassy or consulate. Once you have completed the form and submitted it with all required supporting documentation, you will be scheduled for an interview at one of our offices.

To ensure that each stage of your application follows strict guidelines set by Canada’s federal government, it is important to follow all instructions provided on each page as they appear in this guide.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here